Friday, July 2, 2010

"Are you Jim? . . ."


Hinds Quick Stop is Peterson's local stomping grounds. It's the center of town, the place to which all residents go - some more than a few times a day. When I was a child it was one of the places that I could go alone - I loved the phrase, "I'm going to Hinds". The have a glass candy cabinet with plenty of treats for a kid to dream. One of the owner's in Sandra Hinds. She is a great lady. When I was young, I have to admit, I was a little intimidated. Sandra is one of those people who don't beat around the bush, she gets to the point and tells it like it is. Over the years we have become friends and I love going in and saying hello and it seems that with every push of the door, I am a child again.
The other day I had stopped to get gas for my dad before I headed to Ogden. It was at one of Hind's busy times - the after work rush. I have to admit I had had a long and rough day (those always lead to the best kind of awkward:), I walked in and said my usual hello to Sandra, who was manning the counter. I was getting myself a great little fountain soda and was talking to her at the same time. I hadn't heard anyone come in as I was getting my drink but it seems that the man who was beside me at the pump had finished and made his way in to pay. I heard Sandra call out, "So, 43 . . blah, blah?" I thought she was in a hurry to get me out of the store by calling out my gas sale before I was even ready so I answered her as I finished up and let me tell ya, I think my hearing was gone by that time because I yelled out the loudest "YEAH!" that you have ever heard! Just as I did that I turned around to see an older gentleman writing a check and Sandra looking at me with a puzzled look on her face and askin' (in my mind she did this with a southern accent which I guess isn't entirely accurate because she is from Nevada but nevertheless go with it because it sounds better . . .) "are YOU Jim?"
"hehe, ummm, nope, just jumpin' ahead on the 'ol train track," - that was followed by a look from the man and awkward silence as more people had entered the store. It was a grand moment, there are so many of those in my life and for that I am grateful. Now, let this be a warning to you that next time you aren't sure you heard something right, just keep your mouth shut - - - - because next time it might be you that has to answer, "are YOU Jim?"

2 comments:

Talecia said...

ha ha wish I could have been there to see that.

Mom said...

Just another one of those awkward moments that we both love to have, so great you can share without worrying about your ego!.. I've got a good one for you but it would take too long to spell it out and I can't write things as entertaining as you!!!lu'ya, Auntie